Image Courtesy of Christophe Calais
Horn of Africa was established in 1995 as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization promoting the successful integration and physical and emotional health of the East African refugee population in San Diego, the largest in California and second largest nationwide. Over the past 15 years, the organization has successfully administered more than 85 grants from federal and state agencies, city and county programs, and local, regional and national foundations in response to growing and changing community needs. In a typical year, we reach approximately 1,500 individuals with our services. Horn of Africa staff combine cultural and linguistic know-how with vast professional experience in social service delivery and repeatedly are invited to present on best practices at national conferences.
Horn of Africa is the leading community-based organization representing and advocating for the comprehensive and diverse needs and opportunities of African refugees and immigrants in San Diego, with a particular emphasis on refugees from Somalia. We are the primary and preferred resource for services to the African refugee community and the lead partner for collaboration with both other African community-based organizations and mainstream institutions. The Horn of Africa will advocate and serve African refugee families across the continuum of needs and will reach out to families in Somalia to assist in relief and immigration. As the lead agency for the African refugee community in San Diego, Horn of Africa will strive to involve the African refugee community in its work and to advocate for more just and fair policies both in the United States and in Africa to support social justice and the preservation of African values and culture while assisting newcomers to the US in becoming self-sufficient and productive members of their new communities.
- Strong connection to the community
- Excellent relationships and reputation with mainstream organizations
- Engaged team of volunteers and experience in volunteer coordination
- Extensive experience in program management and operation
- Strong track record of success
- Vast experience in grants management and as fiscal agent for other CBO's diversification of revenue streams, including grants from public and foundation sector as well as private donations
- Committed board
- Experienced and knowledgeable staff